Saturday 13 April 2019

Checklist update 2019

#79. Southern Lapwing (Vanellus chilensis)

It has been over a month since my last checklist update and between that time I add 5 new yearbirds, one of which is a lifer and two rares.  My first lifer for 2019 was a White-tailed Tropicbird (Phaethon lepturus)  that I saw in St. Philip on March 24th. This surprising discovered was made Grete Pach and John Webster while there were birding on  March 20th and I was happy to finally get the chance to see it.  The other two birds of interest on my checklist was an immature Purple Gallinule  (Porphyrio martinica) I saw at an irrigation pond in St. George and secondly our own Houdini bird, the Southern Lapwing (Vanellus chilensis). This bird disappears without a trace for most of the year then re-appears around this time of the year.  I was happy to see that it was healthy and in its normally noisy, grumpy nature.   The island is in the midst of a dry spell and most of the naturally occurring wet areas are now dry.  We are also at the beginning of the northerly moving migration, birds are leaving South America and here in the Caribbean and are returning to breeding grounds in North America. These two factors would affect the flow of birds for the next couple of weeks. I am hoping it would equate to a couple of exciting birds. Of course, I will keep you informed so until then enjoy your birding.
Check here to see my full 2019 checklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment