Monday 26 November 2018

Another Year Another One Hundred

Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia)

I was so busy this month that I forgot to mention I reached my 100th bird species for the year; actually my tally now stands at 103 species.  My 100th bird was a Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) I saw it in the parish of St. Lucy on November 11th.  It took me by surprise as it was hawking for insects over a pond with Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica).  Bird 101 was discovered by Dr. John Webster on November 11th, a Wilson Phalarope, in the parish of St. Philip.  I saw it the following day, thanks John for the heads up.  My 102nd bird was one that went missing from the island’s checklist for about two years but American Wigeons (Mareca Americana) are back!  I saw two males at the Chancery Lane’s Swamp, hurray!  My 103rd was another duck but this time it was a diving duck, a Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis).  This duck, well twelve of them were seen in a flooded cane field at Padmore, St. Philip.  The ducks were sharing the pond with 100+ Blue-winged Teals, the largest flock I have seen for the year by far.  My goal now, is to break my highest year total of 104 species. Can I do it? I have a whole month to try. Lets see. 
Enjoy your birding

No comments:

Post a Comment