Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Rare not so Rare Bird




My bird of the week was not a lifer yet it was a first-see for me and the other birders on the island.  I saw this bird as I was driving along the village of Chimborazo in the Parish of St. Joseph.  Chimborazo is one of the highest points on the island.  This is the second rarity I have come across in this area.  In 2012 I saw a Lesser Antillean Bullfinch Loxigilla noctis which was in the process of nesting with our endemic Barbados Bullfinch Loxigilla barbadensis.  By now you are looking at the photos and trying to guess what type of bird it is.  Well, it is a Leucistic Barbados Bullfinch.  While Leucism and Albinism are well documented in Bullfinches, it is the first I have seen.  This is also true of the others I have spoken to.  I would like to say thank you to the house holder, Kim, who lent me her point and shoot to get the photograph (since I was caught camera less on that day).
Happy birding…

Leucism is a condition in animals characterized by reduced pigmentation. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin. (Wikipedi)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment