Sunday 8 October 2017

A New Avian Species Record for Barbados – Ringed Kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata)


Ringed Kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata)
I first saw, well heard, this bird on the afternoon of September 21st, while birding at Woodbourne Shorebird Refuge (WSR).  The call was unfamiliar to me so I took note of it.  I tried in vain to find the bird in the dense foliage but was unable to.   Minutes later what I first thought was a Belted Kingfisher, which is common to the island, flew from the area the bird call came from.  I noticed the reddish colour underparts and got a quick shot with my camera.  The shot was horrible but I
My first image of the RIKI on September 21
was sure this bird was a Ringed Kingfisher.   On returning home I listened to the call of the Ringed Kingfisher on the website www.xeno-canto.org  and it was the same call I heard earlier that afternoon at WSR.   I had seen and photographed what I thought was a Belted Kingfisher sitting over one of the ponds, it then flew to the same dense foliage just before I heard the strange call so I reasoned that it must have been the Ringed Kingfisher and gathered a few of the best images to share.   Of course, no matter how you try, you cannot turn a Belted Kingfisher into a Ringed Kingfisher, yes the
Belted or Ringed Kingfisher?
response was unanimous - a Belted Kingfisher.  I was dejected but vowed to find and get photographical evidence to support my sighting but because of a series of unfortunate events I was unable to do an in-depth search.  On September 30th, a local birder saw and photographed the Ringed Kingfisher at the same location, confirming that I did hear its distinct call.


I was finally able to get my first good look at the bird on October the 1st and first usable images on October 5th some of which you can see below.


Ringed Kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata) is a large bird about 16 inches, with bluish-gray upperparts, shaggy crest and a broad white collar around the neck.  Its underparts are reddish-brown, which covers the entire breast of the male to under the tail while females are more colourful having a bluish-gray breast and a narrow white stripe separating the breast from the belly.  Juveniles are darker above, with marks on the back; breast is mottled and belly a lighter reddish-brown making our bird a female.

While these birds are uncommon to this island they are common to some of our Caribbean neighbours eg. Dominica which was recently devastated by Hurricane Maria – Our hearts and prayers go out to them.

Here are a few images of the bird:




No comments:

Post a Comment