Tuesday 15 September 2015

September to Remember


After a slow month of August, where I registered only two new birds for the year, September is trying to make up for it.  Already I have registered five new birds for the year with one being a lifer.  
The five birds are:

 
  1. American Golden-Plover ( Pluvialis dominica)which was observed late on the afternoon of September 2nd in St. Lucy.
  2. The Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) I saw this while I was on the Highway on the morning of September 8th.  The bird was not hard to identify as it flew towards me and directly over my car. I noted the dark color, decurved bill and the extended neck position synonymous with an Ibis in flight.  The bird was next seen and photographed by R. Roach on September 13th in the parish of St. Lucy.  Glossy Ibis are considered vagrants to Barbados.
  3. Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) was my second “first for the year” bird I saw on September 8th.  I saw the bird when I checked an irrigation pond on my way home from work.  At first I thought it was a Great Blue, but was not sure so I shared the images with fellow birders and it was Edward Massiah who pointed out that it was a Grey Heron.  He pointed out the white thighs, white headlights (white marks just in front of the eyes), black and white feathering down the plain grey neck.
  4. Red Knot (Calidris canutus) this was seen in the parish of St. Philip by Dr. J. Webster on September 9th.  He alerted the local birders of its presence and I was able to see it that afternoon.
    Photo by R. Roach
  5. Fork-tailed Flycatcher (Tyrannus savanna) a lifer for me, was seen on the morning of September 13th at Harrison’s Point in St. Lucy.  I had a clue that R. Roach and I would have seen something special on that day from the time I took out my camera to take my first shot for the day.  Caribbean Martins were sitting on the power line, but when I went to take my first shot, I realized that I had left my compact flash card at home.  No problem I thought, as I have a backup card, Not!!  That card was also not in the bag but sitting on my desk at home.  Within minutes of packing my equipment back into the car, the Fork-tailed Flycatcher flew overhead.  Luckily Richard was able to get a few shots before it disappeared for good.
 
With many days still left in this month I will be trying to better my 2014 September tally of seven birds. The Flycatcher was my best for the month so far but the month is still young so you never know what may turn up in this September to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment