Thursday 6 March 2014

The Great Back Yard Bird Count: Day 2


Day 2: The GBBC.

I started early on day 2 and ventured to the southern and eastern parts of the island.  My first stop was Oistins in the parish of Christ Church.

Oistins


Oistins is one place on the island where you are sure to see seabirds during their migration, but not at this time of the year.  What I saw at Oistins though, were shorebirds, mainly Sanderlings and Ruddy Turnstones, Cattle Egrets, Grackles and a few seed eaters.  Oistins is also known for its large number of Feral Rock Pigeons and Red Jungle fowls.  From Oistins my next stop was Chancery Lane Swamp.

Chancery Lane


The surprise at Chancery Lane for me was not seeing any ducks.  Over a number of weeks, birders on the island were monitoring a number of duck species at this location.  One of the reasons for their absence could be the falling water levels. Never the less, I recorded 15 species there, including a Great Blue and a Little Blue Heron.  From there it was on to my next stop The WSR.

Woodbourne Shorebirds Refuge


This stop was probably the best of all for my weekend.  I was able to record a lifer, a bird which I was trying to record from last year -the Yellow Crowned Night Heron.  I saw two in the back swamp with a juvenile Black Crowned.  I remain at the WSR for a hour, recording twenty-nine species.  My last stop for the day was just a few miles from WSR.

Congo Road


At Congo Road St. Philip I recorded ten species of birds in just fifteen minutes. The highest count -119 Least Sandpipers. This is the only location at which I founded Black Bellied Plovers. These maybe part of a flock that winters there annually. It was good to see the water levels at The Congo Road were holding steady so it should offer good birding during the dry season.

This was my last stop for the day. Stay tune for Days 3&4

  


No comments:

Post a Comment