Tuesday 6 November 2018

Blackpolls at HP Finally


Blackpoll Warbler Setophaga striata

After not birding last weekend, 27th or 28th October I thought I had missed the opportunity to see a tiny bird that undertakes one of the longest migration routes of any animal.  The bird I am referring to is the Blackpoll Warbler Setophaga striata.  Every year between the last week of September and the first week of November, a small area of woodland at Harrisons Point (HP) in the northern parish of St. Lucy, is the most reliable location to see these birds.  But after visits by me and other birders, even during the peak flight period – 24th & 25th October, none were seen.  With that in mind I was skeptical in making this, HP that is, one of my birding spots last weekend, November 3rd


The trip went just as the previous weekend – Yellow Warbler (Golden), Black-whiskered Vireos, Caribbean Elaenia and other common birds.  I tried my best to make a Black-whiskered a Red-eye Vireo but to no avail.   After about half an hour, I decided to leave and on my way out I got sight of a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  This was exciting for me because this bird has not been recorded here at HP in over two years.  This may be due to the cutting and clearing of a large percentage of the woodland to facilitate a project by the local water authority.  Seeing the cuckoo invigorated me to give the look for the Blackpoll one more try and I started phishing vigorously.  In less than 2 minutes my calls were answered when a beautiful Blackpoll popped out from the canopy of river tamarind plants.  Soon it was joined by another and both flew into the mid to low areas of the wooded section.  Finally, I was able to record not only Blackpolls but also Yellow-billed Cuckoos at HP for 2018.    

No comments:

Post a Comment