Friday 9 December 2016

100th for 2016



Northern Pintail (L) and 3 Blue-winged Teal

BIRD 100!! Yippee!!.  For third years in a row, 2014, 15 and now 16, I reach the mark of 100 bird species for Barbados. This year I started with a bang coming out of January with sixty-one species but going into November with seven need in a poor migration season, I thought I would not have made it.  Then I landed six species in November leaving me with just one more to get which I did on December 08.

Bird 100


Northern Pintail
I found my 100th at the Woodbourne Shorebird Refuge (WSR) while doing a little after work birding. When I first saw this bird I knew right away I had not seen it for the year as yet. It was an elegant looking duck, long necked and a dark grey bill and stood at a length of 21”. It was a Northern Pintail  (Anas acuta).  The bird was sitting among a flock of Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors) and Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis) but it was easy to see the female Pintail by its size, long neck and reddish head.


My next target will be 105 species which would surpass the 104 I did in 2015, the most I’ve ever recorded in a year.   So I’ll be ending the year with a bang.


Hope your birding is also going well, whatever the case  enjoy your birding.

My 2016 list

No comments:

Post a Comment