Monday, 23 September 2013
Thursday, 19 September 2013
Common Name: Glossy Ibis
Scientific Name: Plegadis falcinellus
Description: 22-25 inches; long brownish color down curved bill; long neck; long legs. Non Breeding: Brown plumage; grey facial skin with a pale bluish boarder. Breeding: Reddish brown plumage; wings emerald greenish with glossy iridescence; Juvenile: dusky brown plumage.
Habitat: Mudflaps; shallow ponds etc.
· Helm Field Guides- Birds of the West Indies by H. Raffaele, J. Wiley, O. Garrido, A.Keith, J. Raffaele
Saturday, 14 September 2013
Common Name: Northern Waterthrust
Scientific Name: Parkesia noveboracensis
Description: 5-5.75 inches; upperparts dark brown; crowned dark brown with a yellowish lightbrown eyebrow strip; underparts white with dark brown streaks. Immature: Underparts yellowish lightbrown.
Habitat: Mangroves; primary saline and brackish water; swamps;
The Northern Waterthrust occasionally winters at the Graeme Swamp. This bird may be affected by loss of habitat with the continual destruction of Mangroves in Barbados and the West Indies.
Statue: Migrant; Winter Resident
- Birds of Barbados by P.A Buckley, Edward Massiah, Maurice B. Hutt, Francine G. Buckle
- Helm Field Guides- Birds of the West Indies by H. Raffaele, J. Wiley, O. Garrido, A.Keith, J. Raffaele
- National Geographic- Field Guide to the Birds of North America edited by Dunn and Alderfer
Sunday, 8 September 2013
Common Name: Lesser Yellowlegs
Scientific Name: Tringa flavipes
Description: 9.75-11 inches; legs long yellowish orange; upperparts grey with white specks; underparts white; breast and throat white with grey streaks.
Habitat: Mud Flaps; shallow ponds and swamps
Friday, 6 September 2013
Common Name: White Rumped Sandpiper
Scientific Name: Calidris fuscicollis
Description: 7-8 inches; black legs; long primary feather tip projected beyond tail; underparts whitish; white rump. Non-Breeding: upperparts brownish-grey; appears hooded. Breeding: upperparts reddish-brown; reddish ear patch; black chest markings.
Habitat: Mud flaps
- Helm Field Guides- Birds of the West Indies by H. Raffaele, J. Wiley, O. Garrido, A. Keith, J. Raffaele